An Alarm.com user code is a safe, smart way to give family members and trusted visitors access to your home when you're not there.
It's a four or six-digit code that unlocks your door and turns off the alarm. Here's a quick video on how to set up a user code in your Alarm.com app. You’ll find web dashboard instructions further down.
Why create user codes?
With user codes, a visitor doesn't need your help to let themselves in, and won't need access to your Alarm.com account. For security, you can restrict a user code to certain days and times, and delete it anytime. You can also get an alert whenever it’s used, so you know who’s coming and going.
Step by Step:
- Log in to the Alarm.com app.
- Tap the Menu icon in the top left.
- Scroll down and tap Users.
- Tap +.
- Enter the user’s first and last name, then tap Create.
- In Access Code, create a code for the user, or tap Generate Code to have Alarm.com make one for you.
- Tap the toggle switch for the devices (e.g. panel, locks) to enable/disable access for the user’s code.
- Tap Save. Allow a few minutes for the new user code to be active at the panel.
- To add the user's contact information, tap + Add Contact. You can enter their mobile number, email address or both.
Using your web dashboard instead?
Here’s how to set up an Alarm.com user code from your PC or laptop.
Step by Step:
- Log in to the web dashboard.
- Click Users.
- Click Add New User.
- Enter the user’s first and last name, and then click Create.
- In the Access Code field, create a code for the user, or tap Generate Code to have Alarm.com make one for you.
- Click the toggle switch for the devices you want the user to have access to (e.g. panel, locks).
- Click Save. Allow a few minutes for the new user code to be active at the panel.
- To add the user's contact information, click + Add Contact. You can enter their mobile number, email address or both.
Things to know:
You can't edit a user code while your security system is armed. You’ll need to verify that the system is disarmed before attempting to edit a user code.
You should also allow a few minutes for a new user code to become active at your security panel. If the new user code doesn’t work at the panel or you have additional questions, contact your service provider.