Ahh, summer. Long days of sunshine mean plenty of time relaxing outside while you enjoy your home with family and friends. Make sure your summer stays fun and carefree this year with these seasonal tips to keep everyone safe.
Tip #1: Keep your house safe: It’s a breeze
Did you know that home robberies are more common in the summer? Between longer daylight hours, homeowners going on holiday and more people being outside, summer is a burglar's favorite season.
- If you take a vacation, post about it online after, rather than letting folks know you’re going to be out of town.
- Home security that’s customized for you and controlled from anywhere is the best way to safeguard your home.
- Make sure your home security system is visible to deter any prowlers who pass by.
Tip #2: Keep kids (and pets) safe through the dog days
Playing around outside in warm weather is what kids and pets do best. But sometimes pools and home playground equipment can pose dangers of injuries or worse.
- Give all your outdoor equipment an annual inspection to check for sharp edges, loose bolts, platforms or guardrails and clear any tripping hazards.
- Make sure kids have proper floating devices in the pool and ensure that a supervising adult is present when small children are playing outside.
- Keep an eye on what’s happening in the backyard. Be alerted via smart video monitoring if kids are outside on their own.
Tip #3: Keep the grill hot (but not that hot)
‘Tis the season to get grillin’. But avoid the risks of fires and burn injuries, so you can make sure your BBQ is the talk of the neighborhood for all the right reasons.
- If you grill with propane, check the gas tank hose for leaks once a year by applying soapy water. If you see bubbles, get your grill serviced.
- Got a charcoal grill? Never apply charcoal fluid to a grill that's already lit, and let your coals cool overnight before you dispose of them.
- Don't leave your grill unattended, and keep children and pets away from it. If an accident does happen, your home security system can contact emergency services immediately.
Ready to learn more about how to keep your family and home safer this summer with Alarm.com home security services? Get started below!