If it's once a month or more, you're in good company. According to a new Alarm.com study of 10,000 US homeowners' security concerns and routines, two-thirds of all homeowners worry about home security and crime at least once a month. 42% experience worries once a week or more, while 16% worry about security every day.
Here are five more discoveries from Alarm.com's new Home Security Survey.
1: Everyone's home security routine is different.
We asked: which actions do you take as part of your daily home security routine?
- 52% of homeowners check that their doors and windows are locked at bedtime.
- 39% make sure that their drapes or blinds are closed at night.
- 35% leave outdoor lights on at night.
- 22% leave indoor lights on at night.
- 24% check inside their closet before going to bed.
- 18% still check under the bed.
Related: Four in 10 homeowners admit they sleep with a "weapon" for security (New York Post)
If your home security routine is complex, consider enlisting help from a professional. Alarm.com makes it easy to check that doors and windows are closed, for example. A quick Scenes command allows you to secure your home for the night with a single action. You'll still need to check under your own bed, though.